The Original Energy Drink - Almond Ojas MilkJan 07, 2014
Energizing + Rejuvenating
This little almond drink is delicious, energizing and rejuvenating…something I'm sure many of us could use more of in our lives. The recipe is from Dr. Lad’s, Ayurveda: The Science of Self-Healing: A Practical Guide book, one of my favorite go-to books for simple and effective Ayurvedic remedies.
In this book Dr. Lad explains that this drink is designed to help increase ojas which is the vital energy force that helps us stay rejuvenated and energized. Ojas is also the same energy that increases when we meditate or do spiritual practices. So for all the yogini's and spiritual aspirants out there, this is an excellent tonic to support your practices.
Best of all its fast and delicious. It’s what I like to call the original protein drink. The one addition I've made to the original recipe is adding turmeric. I love turmeric. Turmeric does wonders for the body and mind....and makes everything look golden and beautiful :).
Here are a few other facts from the excerpt on what Ojas is from Dr. Lad’s book:
- Ojas is the vital energy that controls the life-functions with the help of prana (life-force)
- Ojas contains all of the five basics elements and all the vital substances of the bodily tissues.
- It is responsible for the auto-immune system and for mental intelligence. On the psychological level, ojas is responsible for compassion, love, peace and creativity.
- A person with strong Ojas is attractive, with lustrous eyes and a spontaneous and calming smile. Such an individual is full of spiritual energy and power
- Spiritual practices and celibacy also enhance these qualities…
The recipe below is for two. Enjoy!
The Original Energy Drink - Almond Ojas Milk
- 2 cups warm milk (I like organic and as unprocessed milk as I can find)
- 20 blanched almonds, peeled and rinsed*
- ½ teaspoon cardamon
- ¼- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (depends on your taste)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoon honey (I prefer local honey)
- Warm milk on stove (do not bring to a boil)
- Place all ingredients in blender and blend for 2-3 minutes or until smooth.
- COOKING TIPS: To blanch almonds, soak overnight in boiling water and then peel in the morning.
- VEGAN: In Ayurveda, every ingredient has a purpose, including the milk and honey in this recipe. So, you're welcome to omit the honey and the replace cow's milk with an alternative, however this drink will not retain the same healing properties.
- Another alternative might be to just have the blanched almonds on their own since they are a good source of protein and provide great strength and energy. And, then take the turmeric in powder format or add to another kitchen concoction.
- GLUTEN FREE: All good here!
- AYURVEDIC TIPS: Depending on your Ayurvedic Dosha (mind-body type), you can swap out vegetables depending on what suits your body type best.
- Vata - This drink is ideal for Vata all year around.
- Pitta - Nourishing for Pitta in the winter.
- Kapha - Best for Kapha to limit intake to a few times during the winter.
Here are a few ways we could work together:
- Ayurvedic Dosha Consultation— one-time consultation - learn your dosha
- Lifestyle Medicine Course + Group Coaching— 12-week program - learn how to support your dosha
- Meditation Dabbler to Daily Practitioner— 4-week program
- 1:1 Well-being Coaching— 3-6 month engagements
- Free Printables Library— free resources and tools to help you on your well-being journey
Stay In Touch
Join our mailing list for on-going inspiration to help you nourish your body, energize your mind and feed your soul.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.